Saturday, September 25, 2010

DIY - Apple Sauce

When September rolled around promising cooler weather (lies, all lies), I felt compelled to write about apples. You can read my previous apple themed post here.
To continue on this theme, here is my fail proof recipe for the best apple sauce ever (no additives or preservatives).

Pink Perfection Apple Sauce


What you need
:
1 pot (medium size)
6+ apples
1.5 cup of water
knife, cutting board
Peeler*optional
Blender (Hand held works great)
Wooden spoon
Stove
and, the secret ingredient :
Raspberries *optional but oh so delicious!



How to : Set yourself up nice and comfy-like either in the kitchen or on the couch in front of your favorite TV-show - I'm into Bones right now, fascinating stuff although gruesome at times but I digress. Bring your apples, cutting board, knife, peeler, and pot.

NOTE: Although I wash the apples to remove any grime that may have accumulated on them during transport, I peel them as well. Why? For two reasons: one, I don't like bits in my apple sauce and two, apples are covered with pesticides and such sprayed on to ensure the beauty of each apple. These chemicals are not water-soluble (meaning they don't wash off with water). I don't want them cooked into my apple sauce. OCD? Maybe.


Peel the apples and cut them into pieces (the smaller they are, the faster they cook and the easier it will be to turn them into scrumptious mush). Make sure you remove the apple core and seeds, you don't want to eat these. Place pieces into pot and head back into the kitchen.

Pour the water into the pot (it's not an exact science, I pour enough in to cover the bottom of the pan by an inch).

WARNING! Do not completely submerge your apples. Doing so would only result in having very diluted apple sauce.

Add the raspberries. You don't need many - half a dozen or so. Put the pot on the stove and let it simmer for 15min. Don't go to far or you might forget about it and you need to stir it from time to time. During the entire process there should always be water in the pot, if you see that it's running dry, add some - no big deal.

Once a happy cooked apples and raspberries smell emanates from your kitchen and fills your household. Remove the pot from the stove and let it cool.

With you trusty hand held blender turn your concoction into a smooth and delicious sauce. Either eat it up now or transfer into Mason jars and refrigerate for later enjoyment.

VoilĂ ! Apple Sauce! Or as we say in French, Compote de Pomme!

To sum it up:
1-Peel and cut apples.
2-Place apples and raspberries in pot.
3-Add water and let simmer for about 15min.
4-Take the pot off the burner, and let cool.
5-Blend and eat. VoilĂ !

Let me know what you think.

Take care!

__________________________________
Acknowledgments:
Merci Steph pour ta recette que j'ai maintenant fait mienne.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emilie!

    I love apple sauce! Thanks for the recipe - it's something I want to try out.

    By the way, I am dropping by from the LBS Tea Party.


    Have a great week,
    Paula

    ReplyDelete

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails